Students and their families are asked to follow these guidelines when participating in both “live” (synchronous) classroom activities and those that allow students to contribute as they are available (asynchronous classroom activities.) Educators will monitor classroom activities to ensure these align with WRDSB’s expectations for privacy and information security and address any concerns directly with students and their parent/caregiver, as appropriate.
- Everyone should always strive to create a positive digital footprint online. Remember that everything communicated online becomes a part of a digital footprint.
- WRDSB Digital Citizenship for Parents
- WRDSB online education tools are preferred: these have been reviewed to ensure they meet the privacy requirements.
- Teachers will keep parents informed of other online educational tools they are using with students. If an online educational tool requires parental consent, teachers will get consent before using the tool with students. Parents/guardians are advised to take this opportunity to ask questions and voice concerns about the new tool.
- Unauthorized recording or copying of teaching and learning materials, classroom chats or discussion forums, and others’ personal information including photos or videos violates WRDSB policies and potentially copyright laws. Educators may record online learning activities for pedagogical or evaluation purposes. No one should take screenshots or use another device to record classroom activities without asking first.
- Everyone should keep personal privacy in mind and if possible avoid spaces like bedrooms, showing personal items or other details they wouldn’t normally share with other teachers and students.
- Parents/caregivers should exercise discretion and be respectful when monitoring/assisting with children’s distance learning. The virtual classroom needs to be a safe and welcoming environment for all. It is important to respect everyone’s privacy and not share personal or other information with others.
Categories: Distance Learning 101