Prior to your trip…
If your class is scheduled for a trip to Huron Natural Area this year you will receive an email prior to the start of our fall or spring session with your trip date. Once you know the date of your trip, there are a couple of administrative tasks that you will need to complete.
1. Book a bus through STOCK transportation
Schools are responsible for booking buses to transport students to and from HNA. Email Brenda at Stock Dispatch: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) or call 519-742-6224. The Board contract with STOCK stipulates that buses are guaranteed for outdoor education trips so there is no need to stress about not being able to get a bus. The cost for the bus is covered by Learning Services. Please complete the form Off Campus Excursion Category 1 IS-11-FA.
|Programs at HNA are 2 hours long. Our typical schedule:|
|Morning Programs:||Arrive at HNA 9:30 a.m.||Depart from HNA 11:30 a.m.|
|Afternoon Programs:||Arrive at HNA 12:30 p.m.||Depart from HNA 2:30 p.m.|
|*Program times are flexible, you may adjust these times by up to 30min in order to fit your school’s timetable. However, please make sure that you leave enough time to be out in the park for a full 2 hours before needing to return to the bus, and that your program will fall between 9am-12 or 12-3pm.|
2. Complete the HNA Planning Form
Our seasonal staff will email you a google survey 2-3 weeks before your trip. This is the only information we will have about your class, it is imperative you complete it so that we can prepare for your visit. Make sure you include any special requests in your responses.
We use this survey to collect logistical details and information on how we will need to differentiate your program. This will include:
- your bus arrival / departure times, and if you require a food break during the program
- the number of students and volunteers you will bring
- any medical concerns, exceptionalities, or accessibility needs
- your students’ prior knowledge, and any special requests you have for your program
By completing your survey, you confirm to us that you are coming on the date and time you are scheduled. If there is an issue with the information you have entered we will email you.
Administrative Procedure 1460 – Administration of Medication Off-Campus Excursions: 4.1 Staff are reminded that medication to combat severe respiratory problems (e.g., asthma) or potentially severe allergic reactions (e.g., bee stings) should accompany students on field trips, especially outdoor education excursions. 4.2 If students are divided into groups when on a field trip, the medication should be transferred to the adult group leader. The classroom teacher or field trip leaders should ensure that the Outdoor Education Centre staff are aware of any students who might be at risk. Staff should also be informed as to whether the student is capable of self-administering the medication/EpiPen or whether he/she requires adult assistance.
3. Read the following information packages:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Gr.2 Growth and Change in Animals – Program Summary & Pre/Post-Visit Activities
- Gr.3 Growth and Change in Plants – Program Summary & Pre/Post-Visit Activities
- Check out the Trail Map for HNA (by City of Kitchener). We often do the Huron Trail (red) for our nature hikes.