Learning to manage yourself is an important skill, whether working at school or learning at home. There are a number of skills that will enable children to work more independently.
Psychology staff have gathered some ideas that families can try at home to develop new habits and skills. Please choose the strategies that you think may work for your family and use them when you are able. We recognize that these are unusual times and families have other priorities as well.
So, what are the skills that children need to learn to become better students?
- The ability to manage their emotions.
- The ability to stop one activity to move to another one.
- The ability to get started on assigned work or chores.
- The ability to make a plan for how to get things done.
- The ability to monitor whether they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
- The ability to continue working, or return to the work, until it is completed.
- The ability to be flexible and manage changes.
Categories: Distance Learning 101