SBI 4U – Biology
Mathematic description of diversity
Similar to the grade 9 aquatic ecology. Students collect living things from Golden Pond and quantify abundance. Students are introduced to the concept of biodiversity indices and use the proportional abundance of species to rank how diverse the pond is. We use the Simpsons or Shannon-Wienner Indexes. Students discuss relevant issues concerning biodiversity and current threats (HIPPO).
- Value of and threats to diversity
- Concepts and types of diversity
- How we quantify diversity
- Definition of a species
- Anatomical structure of common aquatic invertebrates.
- Aquatic Invertebrate Diversity
Categories: Wrigley Corners