Get Skilled for Life!
Looking for a great career? The skilled trades provide rewarding, challenging careers in sectors such as motive power, construction, manufacturing and service.
The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP), offered in high schools across the Waterloo Region District School Board, allows students in grade 11 or 12 to explore and experience skilled trade career opportunities through their school’s Cooperative Education program (Co-op) and work towards an apprenticeship. It’s a great program for students and those that take them on through Co-op placements.
Students — OYAP lets you take your learning in your own hands. In your apprenticeship, you’ll work in real life settings, doing hands-on work, and learning from a skilled expert in the field.
Learn more here.
Employers — OYAP programs allow you take on motivated apprentices eager to learn more about the trade at no cost and no obligation. It can also be a path to training your future staff.
Learn more here.
To learn more about a career in the trades, or about hiring a student, contact
David Pope – WRDSB OYAP Coordinator
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 519-570-0003 Ext. 4256
The goals of OYAP are:
- To provide students with the opportunity to start training in a skilled trade while
completing the requirements for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma;
- To enable students to make the school to work transition by direct entry into
- To provide employers with the opportunity to train the skilled workers they require;
- To provide a viable solution to address the problem of skilled tradespeople shortages in
general, and specifically the lack of young people joining the trades.
Checkout these videos to learn more about OYAP and the skilled trades.
WRDSB Program Overview Video (3min 30sec)
OYAP Commercial (30 sec)
OYAP Questions (11 min 30 sec)
Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development – Skilled Trades Ad (30 sec)
“Find a Career you Wouldn’t Trade”
This Employment Ontario program is funded by the Government of Ontario.