Interested in a career in a skilled trade? You’re in the right place! Students can become registered apprentices and work towards becoming certified journey persons in a skilled trade while completing their secondary school diploma. To start your apprenticeship all you have to do is take Co-op. Talk to your Guidance Counselor to see if you can fit Co-op into your timetable.
If you are a student who:
- Learns best by doing;
- Enjoys working with your hands;
- Shows a strong work ethic;
- Likes working with the latest technologies;
- Demonstrates a courteous, positive, and responsible attitude;
- And would like to explore career options while attending high school,
Then OYAP just might be for you!
To be eligible for OYAP, you must:
- Be at least 15 years of age and be in grade 10-12;
- Have successfully completed 14 credits;
- Can be a full-time or part-time student;
Benefits of OYAP?
- Start an apprenticeship in high school!
- Make local industry connections
- Gain hands-on experience
- Legally work in a compulsory trade
- Free Working at Heights training for Construction trades
- Free safety equipment (PPE) including work boots
Talk to a Co-op teacher or your guidance counselor to find out how you can start your apprenticeship in high school with Co-op and OYAP!!!
Explore all the Apprenticeable Trades in Ontario
Graduating OYAP Students!!!
If you’re already an OYAP student, checkout the next steps after graduation.
OYAP Connecting Students Guide & Pamphlet