A Specialist High Skills Major allows you to focus on a career area that interests you while you earn your high school diploma. No matter what education you plan to pursue after high school—apprenticeship, college, university or workplace training—a hospitality and tourism major can help you focus on a future career.

A Specialist High Skills Major in hospitality and tourism offers:​​

  • high school courses in grade 11 and 12 tailored to the career you want to pursue
  • the chance to work with industry leaders and experience cutting-edge training in hospitality/tourism
  • experience working in the sector you’re interested in, while you’re still in high school
  • recognition on your high school diploma

The hospitality and tourism major includes the following components:​

  1. In the hospitality/tourism major, you will take nine credits in grade 11 and 12:
    • four hospitality/tourism major credits
    • one English credit, one math credit and one credit of either science or hospitality/tourism, each with units focused on hospitality/tourism
    • two co-operative education credits to gain workplace experience that helps you refine, extend and practice your business knowledge and skills
  2. Sector-recognized certifications and/or training courses/programs 
  3. Experiential learning and career exploration activities within the sector
  4. Reach ahead experiences connected with the student’s postsecondary plans
  5. Completion of a Sector-Partner Experience

Sector-recognized certification and training​

As part of the hospitality and tourism major, you will earn six certifications, including the following four that are compulsory:

  • customer service
  • standard first aid
  • CPR, level A
  • hazardous materials – Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS)

Future career paths for hospitality/tourism majors​

For hospitality/tourism majors, possible careers include:

  • apprenticeship – baker, cook, chef, special events coordinator
  • college – flight attendant, food service manager
  • university – nutritionist, dietician, hotel/resort manager
  • entry level workplace – hotel valet, bartender

Get more information​

Call the guidance department at the following schools that offer the program: