Accelerated Level 1 OYAP
Level 1 OYAP offers a select number of grade 12 students the very unique opportunity of accelerating an apprenticeship.
Two things are required to be considered for Level 1 OYAP:
- Be graduating in June and pursuing their desired trade after graduation
- A Registered Training Agreement (RTA) with an employer licensed in their desired trade
General Information & Considerations
Students should plan well in advance for this opportunity, ideally as early as grade 10 or 11, in order to graduate on time and fit COOP and Level 1 into their final semester. To be a successful candidate, students should have already developed experience and skill in their desired trade through related technology courses, co-op, volunteer or work experience.
Some preparatory work is necessary for students to make industry connections with employers who are willing to register the student as an apprentice for the duration of the semester. This relationship will become their COOP placement in semester 2 of their graduating year. Please note:
- Employers do not have to sign anything until the program begins. The RTA paperwork will all be done at the beginning of the student’s COOP class in semester 2 with the help of the COOP and/or Dual Credit teacher.
- Employers do not have to commit to the student beyond the end of June (though we hope for this best case scenario)
- OYAP students do not count toward an employer’s apprentice ratio.
Seat availability in the trades listed below vary and can be competitive. Students from several school boards have equal access to Level 1 opportunities through Conestoga College.
List of Trades Offered
*To find out more about these trades and apprenticeship standards click on the links or go to the Ontario Ministry of Labour, Training & Skills Development or the Ontario College of Trades.